Xmas - History - Customs - Legends - 12th Night - Carols - Games - E-Cards
Saint Nicholas Around the World
- Nick means wash or cleanse Old Nick is a diety of water.
- In Holland gingerbread is called Saint Nicholas cake. Saint Nicholas is also known as Sinter Klaas.
- In America St. Nicholas was featured in Clement Clarke Moores poem The Night Before Christmas in1822. The illustrations were created by Thomas Nast. Also known as Santa Claus, Saint Nicholas has reindeer and elves imported from Sweden.
- In England and Finland he is called Father Christmas.
- In Southern Germany he is called Pelz-Nicol.
- In Switzerland he is Samichlaus.
- Saint Nicholas is the patron saint of Greece and Russia.
- Grandfather Frost: Dyedt Moroz turned a wicked Siberian girl into a pillar of ice and rewarded a well-behaved step-sister with diamonds. He delivers presents on Jan. 6 to celebrate the New Year.
- Papai Noel, Brazils Santa Claus, arrives by helicopter and wear a red silk suit to beat the heat.